Sometimes The Best UX/UI Solution is No UX/UI Change…
My first day at one company I was greeted by a team needed a meeting "right away!" Which was great, it's always a good sign when the teams are excited to get a UX person on staff.
So, we met and they started talking about how they needed me to make their chat more prominent, that this was a crisis and needed a solution they could get in place ASAP, people weren't seeing it and where calling the support line instead which was costing lots of money, and they started tossing around the ideas they had. The thing was...the chat was already all over every page of the site.
I listened closely to everything they said. Then I started asking questions...when did the problem first start? Had any changes been made to the site recently? Had the tool they were using for chat recently changed? And so on, and so forth.
The answers didn't raise any flags, so I moved on to the next step - I had them bring the site up and show me how they expected customers to interact with it.
And this is where the project moved from UX/UI to code fix...even though they said there had not been any change to the site, what they meant was there weren't any changes to the site that they felt would have impacted the chat.
I took a peek at the code in the browser and found that several errors had been entered into the code - an inadvertent problem created while other updates were made.
We documented the problem code, met with QA to make sure that in the future the chat was always part of all regression testing, and the customers started using the chat again as expected (and preferred by the company).