Have you heard? December 22 is “National Keep Pets Safe in Winter Day!”
- Keep cats and dogs indoors. If they must be outside for a period of time, ensure that they have a warm, dry place to hang out and access to water (you may need to use a heated dish!).
- Clear a path in the snow/ice and use a pet-friendly, no-salt ice melt such as Morton Safe-T-Pet.
- Keep your dog on a short leash and stay out just long enough for the dogs to relieve themselves.
- Remove snow and ice from the paws and fur after leash walks.
- Check warm spots on cars, such as hoods, where animals might seek shelter from the cold.
- Be sure pets are wearing identification tags and proper outerwear as needed.
- Protect short haired or sensitive dogs during walks by using coats and boots. (or something like Musher’s Secret, which protects pads)